Platon Technologies
not logged in Login Registration
EnglishSlovak
open source software development celebrating 10 years of open source development! Thursday, April 18, 2024
About Us
Magazine
Open Source
CVS
Services
Index  »  Projects  »  phpMyEdit  »  Forum  »  can't use localhost as hostname

phpMyEdit Installation     can't use localhost as hostname

richard simmons     Joined: 07 Oct 2011   Posts: 1  
Post Posted: 2011-10-07 11:23
Back to top  Reply with quote     

This is very odd. I have a mySql database in a commercial server. In order to test I put the open source version of phpMyEdit on my desktop computer which has Apache on it. I pointed phpMyEdit to the mySql database and it all worked fine.

I then loaded phpMyEdit to my web server which is at the same address as the mySql database. I ran the phpMyEdit setup with the same data - but with 'localhost' as the hostname and it can't attach to the database.

I tried the following tests

1. I tried all hostnames that the database server might be called: 127.0.0.1, localhost, it's actual IP address, and it's full url as used when it worked from my desktop Apache server. None worked.

2. I tried using the <table name>.php file that worked on my server and putting that file on the remote server and changing the database name to 'localhost' - that did not work

3. I wrote a small php program to access the database - in order to make sure that php scripts on the remote server could see the database and the script worked fine.

The mySql server is commercially hosted on a server with a cpanel interface.

Help Please....

doug     Joined: 10 Feb 2003   Posts: 1013   Location: Denver, Colorado (USA)
Post Posted: 2011-10-07 15:31
Back to top  Reply with quote     

Look for typo's in the user name and/or password, or delete an re-create users on both systems. When I've encountered what you describe, I've usually found that I've had typo one place or the other (db name, user name, or password).

Copyright © 2002-2006 Platon Group
Site powered by Metafox CMS
Go to Top · Feedback form · Application form
Report bug on PLATON.SK website · Terms of use · Privacy policy