Platon Technologies
not logged in Login Registration
EnglishSlovak
open source software development celebrating 10 years of open source development! Thursday, March 28, 2024
About Us
Magazine
Open Source
CVS
Services
Index  »  Projects  »  phpMyEdit  »  Forum  »  Blank screen when runinng phpMyEdit.setup for the first time

phpMyEdit Installation     Blank screen when runinng phpMyEdit.setup for the first time

pwbiggs     Joined: 18 Dec 2007   Posts: 7  
Post Posted: 2007-12-18 21:36
Back to top  Reply with quote     

I thought I'd try phpMyEdit as I'm hoping it will save me lots of donkey work as I have a MySQL db with a large number of fields.
When I run phpMyEdit.setup for the first time I just get a blank screen. If I look at the source code I get this:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
            "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
   <title>phpMyEdit Setup</title>
   <style type="text/css">
   <!--
      body  { font-family: "Verdana", "Arial", "Sans-Serif"; text-align: left }
      h1    { color: #004d9c; font-size: 13pt; font-weight: bold }
      h2    { color: #004d9c; font-size: 11pt; font-weight: bold }
      h3    { color: #004d9c; font-size: 11pt; }
      p     { color: #004d9c; font-size: 9pt; }
      table { border: 1px solid #004d9c; border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; }
      td    { border: 1px solid; padding: 3px; color: #004d9c; font-size: 9pt; }
      hr
      {
      height: 1px;
      background-color: #000000;
      color: #000000;
      border: solid #000000 0;
      padding: 0;
      margin: 0;
      border-top-width: 1px;
      }
   -->
   </style>
</head>
<body bgcolor="white">

which looks very similar to the problem logged by Vto in http://opensource.platon.sk/forum/projects/viewtopic.php?t=197
that was back in 2003 and I didn't understand the answer anyway.
I'm running Windoze XP (with all the latest updates), PHP 5.2.1, MySQL 5.0.22 and Apache 2.2.4.
My PHPInfoTest works OK, as does my own PHP files which call up fields from my two existing databases.
I'm not a total newbie but I dare say it's something obvious I'm not doing.
I call setup using http://localhost/localhost/phpMyEdit-5.7.1/phpMyEditSetup.php
don't worry about the localhost/localhost, I've got a directory in my htdocs which I've called localhost which is where I do my testing, and another site called imagefair for my site that will eventually be uploaded.
The path for the setup file is C:\WebDev\Apache\htdocs\LocalHost\phpMyEdit-5.7.1 with the extns, images and language directories below them.
Hope someone can help, or I've a lot of tiresome hand coding to do.
Thanks

Post Posted: 2007-12-19 00:42

Hadn't thought of that. Just unset read-only for phpMyEdit-5.7.1 and sub directories, but it didn't make any difference.
Good idea though as stuff unzipped from the internet can arrive with read-only set.

Post Posted: 2007-12-19 01:08

Progress.
My php.ini has 'error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE' and 'display_errors = On' which I take to mean that errors are displayed.
I took out the '@'s (there's a lot of them!) and got
Quote:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_pconnect() in C:\WebDev\Apache\htdocs\LocalHost\phpMyEdit-5.7.1\phpMyEditSetup.php on line 165

Line 165 is
Quote:
$dbl = mysql_pconnect($hn, $un, $pw);

I tried changing it to mysqli_pconnect... as all the calls I have used so far are the 'i' variant but it didn't change the error.
Now I have that error message to work with I can do more research, but if you've any ideas that would fix it I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for this progress anyway.

Post Posted: 2007-12-19 01:45

The only persistent in my phpinfo is in the odbc section.
I tried mysql_connect instead of pconnect and got the same error.
How do you mean 'use a different db connection' and how do I apply that large code section and what does it do?

I can't understand how or why the code should want to make a connection at this point before I've even given it a hostname, username or password. Presumably they are some sort of industry wide default used to find the SQL server?

Post Posted: 2007-12-19 02:17

Hmmm, that didn't work either with a username, password and database I know works in my code. I took out all the '@'s again and got the same error message, line 15 this time. Also tried the connect version.

It's gone 1 o'clock in the morning here now so I'll have to leave any more suggestions, assuming hopefully you have some for me, until the morning.

It's obviously going to be something with my setup rather than phpMyEdit being the problem.

If it helps, the database I tried to connect to I can connect to OK using
Code:
mysqli_connect($host,$user,$password,$dbname)

Post Posted: 2007-12-19 02:28

Additional...
If I rewrite those first few lines like this;
Code:
$host = "localhost";
$user = "Phillip";
$password = "helloagain";
$dbname = "inventory";
$table="household_inventory";

$persistent = '';

if($persistent == (bool) ini_get('allow_persistent')){

if(!$opts['dbh'] = mysqli_connect($host,$user,$password,$dbname)){

die(mysql_error());

}

I get to line 31 before hitting the next error. I'll look into it more tomorrow, but it seems odd that my method worked.
Notice this uses the connect method. If I put in the pconnect method it errors again. Also, I use Zend Development and you know the auto-complete feature of these enviroments, well there isn't an auto complete for pconnect.

Post Posted: 2007-12-19 16:05

Going back to the original program. phpMyEdit's first piece of php code is;
Code:
<?php

if (! defined('PHP_EOL')) {
   define('PHP_EOL', strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3) == 'WIN') ? "\r\n"
         : strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3) == 'MAC') ? "\r" : "\n");
}
echo "LINE 61 <br><pre>";   var_dump($_POST);   echo "</pre>";
$hn = $_POST['hn'];
$un = $_POST['un'];
$pw = $_POST['pw'];
if(strlen($_POST['db'])>0) $db = $_POST['db'];
if(strlen($_POST['tb'])>0) $tb = $_POST['tb'];
$id = $_POST['id'];

The "echo 'Line 61... " bit is mine. My point is that this echo reveals an empty array, which to my way of thinking isn't surprising as I haven't got as far as posting anything yet. Not surprisingly therefore I get the
Code:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in C:\WebDev\Apache\htdocs\LocalHost\phpMyEdit-5.7.1\phpMyEditSetup.php on line 165
when mysql_connect tries to use the $hn, $un, $pw values which are empty.
Is the start of the code supposed to look like this? It almost seems like I should be calling another program before this one.

musagoro     Joined: 10 Jun 2020   Posts: 1  
Post Posted: 2020-06-10 05:47

Anyone who wants to work with PHP must have vast knowledge about its coding and tools. Otherwise, he will also see the superiorpapers.com review to guide himself to learn coding and tools.

ledam40306     Joined: 12 Aug 2020   Posts: 896  
Post Posted: 2020-09-02 09:33

Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue. so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post.It 's really very nice and Useful post.Thanks https://royalcbd.com/wisconsin/

alexzender     Joined: 09 Aug 2020   Posts: 648  
Post Posted: 2020-09-22 13:36

Your work here on this blog has been top notch from day 1. You've been continously providing amazing articles for us all to read and I just hope that you keep it going on in the future as well. Cheers! home nursing dubai https://firstresponse.ae/home-nursing-services/

nushra456789     Joined: 03 Oct 2020   Posts: 15  
Post Posted: 2020-10-03 21:40

Regular visits listed here are the easiest method to appreciate your energy, which is why why I am going to the website everyday, searching for new, interesting info. Many, thank you  scan to pay

Post Posted: 2020-10-28 09:38

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. baangreen

alexzender     Joined: 09 Aug 2020   Posts: 648  
Post Posted: 2020-10-29 05:40

pgslot new dimension of slot games Open a superior gaming experience of slots. Receive many bonuses, real distribution, real pay, no cheating line7games

Post Posted: 2020-11-02 10:15

Connect with us now to get help! We continue to pursue that same vision in today's complex, uncertain world, working every day to earn our customers&#8217; trust! Fastest Vehicle Assistance

nushra456789     Joined: 03 Oct 2020   Posts: 15  
Post Posted: 2020-11-02 12:15

Instantly achieve sharper lines &amp; more defined haircuts.Barber airbrush compressor kits starting at $147. Free worldwide shipping. Learn more. cordless air compressor

Copyright © 2002-2006 Platon Group
Site powered by Metafox CMS
Go to Top · Feedback form · Application form
Report bug on PLATON.SK website · Terms of use · Privacy policy